Thursday 15 March 2012

DC Supergirl Bishoujo Figure

What sparked my interest in blogging was when a large package arrived for me yesterday.
In the package were two figures I ordered on ebay. While removing them from the boxes and taking photos I realized most people don't even know I buy these things, and would maybe like to know. I also like taking photos of stuff, so why not review things like figures? There are lots of blogs out there that do just that, so I'll give it a go!

I've been collecting figures released by Kotobukia called the Bishoujo series ( There are currently several groups within the Bishoujo series, I've been collecting DC and Marvel). Bishoujo basically means pretty girl. I have a few in my collection already, but I'll start with reviewing one of two that arrived yesterday. 

First up in the DC Bishoujo range: Supergirl!




The boxes for this range are pretty much all the same so I won't talk too much about the box. If you like you can find plenty of pictures of the box on google :)
The same as my other figures Super Girl came very well wrapped and packaged. The only thing different about this figure is she's the first I've purchased that wasn't screwed or permanently attached to the base. She came in three parts:


She's a pretty big figure - one of the biggest in the range I own.
Putting her together in the right place was easy enough. It was just a bit difficult to make sure she was really attached. The peg on her foot fit REALLY snug, so now she's attached I have no fear she will fall out or over. Looking at Shunya Yamashita's vision art work, I think Koto did a good job of turning her into a 3D figure. I think Supergirl follows his work really closely (in comparison to some of the other figures.) They pulled off her playful, happy look with the face and haven't really changed her body much from the art work  (her boobs haven't increased in size from the original and the sculpt, and they've kept her looking more like a teen rather than woman.)
Only thing I didn't realize is that Supergirl is attached to clouds - I thought it was rock!
A bit of a DUH moment on my behalf!

Supergirl is looking down slightly, so if you're keen to take her out of the box and display her, have her at eye level or slightly higher to get the best effect! Like a few of the other bishoujo figures, they've used clear plastic for the hair, so the tips look clear and give it a light flowing feel. She has pretty generous amount of hair too. Only one thing that looks a bit funny is if you look at the back of her hair, there is one strand separate to the rest of her hair for an upward hair flick. Now you don't see it from the front, but it looks a bit weird on the back of her hair. Pretty minor complaint though. You'd never display her with her back to you lol!
As well as showing the funny strand.. this next photo gives you a good look at the clear plastic for her hair!


So this is where you see the Japanese influence with the underwear shot! This is the only figure where the girl is pretty much flashing her underwear, most others have pants on or "swim suit" type costumes. You don't really see this from the front, so you can keep it G rated on display if you wish! :D

Nice hair and cape action!
I really love Supergirl's cape too, it gives her a sense of motion, like she really is flying. The only other figure with so much motion is Emma Frost!


Fly Supergirl!!
A kitty sidekick!
I think the cat looks pretty awesome as an added extra, even his little cape is blowing in the wind!
I really thought this figure wouldn't be one of my favorites, but I've been really impressed with Supergirl. From the detail on her face to her little friend! She's very photogenic too! Her sculpt is amazing and there aren't any obvious/distracting seam lines (other than the weird hair strand)
I'll upload a size comparison with my other figures in separate post.
I chose the normal version of Supergirl over the evil version, because the blue and red look so nice! I thought the black and silver was a little boring.. and she has black lipstick which I'm not too keen on. If the slightly gothic/evil version appeals to you more, you won't be disappointed!

Over all, if you pick this figure up on somewhere like ebay, other bishoujo figures or not, she'll definitely stand out on your shelf! I'm not the biggest fan of Supergirl but I'm loving this figure a lot more than I thought! If you're a fan and like the anime influence, this is a must!

Next up: Wonder Woman!
Original concept art by Shunya Yamashita

1 comment:

  1. Awesome figure. I just recently started getting into collecting figures and looks like I've been missing out on some really cool stuff. I've been looking all over the place trying to avoid paying an arm and a leg for her, but no luck so far :/

    ReplyDelete