Sunday 20 May 2012

Marvel Mystique Bishoujo Figure

A couple of months ago, I received the Mystique Bishoujo Figure. I actually thought I'd reviewed this but I must have forgotten!

When I saw her up for sale, I really wasn't too sure about her. I have all of the other X-Girls, so I decided to take the plunge and purchase her anyway..



When she arrived, she was in one of the smaller sized boxes, due to her kneeling pose. For those who keep boxes (or keep their figures boxed) this is really nice. They haven't put her in a stupidly over sized box.

She comes in three parts, figure, clear plastic base and gun.

Mystique and her clear base.
First impression of the base is not an overly good one. She really has the most basic base of all the bishoujo figures. You can choose to display her without the base, but she does have a few little pegs designed to slot into the base (I've decided to display with the base regardless.) Even though X-23 has a basic base, more thought seems to have gone into it.

Other than the very plain base, there's still a lot of detail happening.
The figure itself however, that's where all the detail has gone in. Her sexy pearl white costume contrasts nicely with her blue skin. Mystique is one of the few figures to have a different coloured skin tone, and it's a beautiful, clean tone of blue.

Nice boots Mystique!
From this angle you can see her hand goes into her hair. The hand isn't actually there, but there's plenty of hair there to make you think it is. Her hair falls down nicely, which makes a change to 'blowing in the wind' hair! The hair uses clear plastic too, which I've started almost expecting from the bishoujo figures.. love it!


The fabric of her costume and boots has folds and wrinkles in all the right places.
You can choose to display her with, or without the gun.. but why wouldn't you have the gun?
The really cool belt of skulls is loose (not attached to her body,) so you can move it if you wish. It is molded to the shape of her body though, so it sits pretty naturally on her hips. The skulls also have a lot of detail!

Even though you can't really see when she's kneeling, her boots have zips!
For her eyes to look right, this is the best angle to look at her from I find.
I think other than the base there is only one other part I'm not really sold on. That's her eyes.
She's looking really far down, which looks really unusual. Sometimes her eyes look a bit funny because of the angle. She's already a low character due to the kneeling pose, but to have her eyes looking down too. She almost needs to be displayed at eye height to get the full effect.

I think I don't gel with this one as much as the other figures because Mystique should be looking a bit more kick ass? I love when the figures look like they're in the middle of battle. Mystique is the wrong character to be looking so chilled out! She is a tiny bit different to the artwork too.

For how picky I'm being, there is still a lot to like about the figure. She is a lot nicer in person too.
She really is nicely made, and I'm still glad I made the purchase!


Original Shunya Yamashita artwork for Mystique.

No comments:

Post a Comment