Thursday 15 March 2012

DC Wonder Woman Bishoujo Figure

The other figure that arrived with Supergirl on Tuesday was Wonder Woman.
I've had my eye on this one for awhile, she took my interest more than the others in the DC range of bishoujo figures (so far.) She doesn't disappoint.

The outside of the box pretty standard for the bishoujo Kotobukia range, nice window packaging, and Shunya Yamashita's artwork on the front and side.
The boxes don't change too much, if you need to see the box, check it out on google images.
The one thing that struck me as very different when opening Wonder Woman was her plastic insert packaging wasn't just two pieces with the figure in the middle. It was one piece that folded all the way around her, which I haven't seen on the other figures.

I knew when I opened her, she'd be special. In fact, so special that she came with instructions! That was certainly a first for any bishoujo I've opened.


She has a lot of parts! Helmet, her lasso, and 3 spears.
With the instructions and pictures on the back of the box, I was able to assemble her without much trouble.
The only thing I spent a bit of time on was pressing the spears into her base at the back. They fit very snug! It would take some force to pull them out again.


Wonder Woman fully assembled and ready for action.
My first impression of Wonder Woman is she's very detailed, they really have gone all out on this one. From the base, to her costume and hair! She certainly draws your attention, especially out of the box.


Wonder Bra!

I have found Wonder Woman's sculpt for her body to be fairly unique for the bishoujo range. She is very shapely! Wonder Woman in the comics has never been lacking in breast size, and has been kept reasonably close to the original Shunya Yamashita art work (maybe they're a bit bigger.)
The legs however are very shapely and look toned and quite a bit of detail around her knee area. It's a very nice touch to the figure that makes it feel real. I haven't noticed this with my other figures so far.


Those boots are made for kicking ass!

The base has a ton of details. The tan coloured base is textured, and is a nice contrast to her shiny metallic boots and shield. The cape has a lot of folds in it (I think it's there so she doesn't get her pretty boots dirty!)
The ONLY thing I don't like about her base is the helmet.
It's not how the helmet is made, it just isn't attached to the base at all! As soon as I saw there was no way to secure it down, my first thought was "That will get lost." It may never get lost but it seems strange to have a floating object.


She even has little metallic red star earrings.

Her face isn't too badly painted, she has the same look as the original art work. I just noticed her eyes could have been painted a touch more straight, but this is a really minor complaint. Her head is facing toward the front more than the art work, but that works better for a figure. Her hair is nicely done, even though most of it is all sculpted together (not lots of strands like some of my other bishoujo figures.) There is a tiny bit of clear plastic at the ends of her hair, but not heaps like Supergirl.


Even from the back this figure is stunning. I really can't recommend this figure any more!
If you want to buy any of the bishoujo figures in the DC range, Wonder Woman is the one. She has a special charm about her, and all the little details that have gone into making her really make this figure impressive from every angle. Wonder Woman is looking down slightly so you'll want to display her at eye level to see her pretty face well.


Well those are the two that arrived on Tuesday and were the latest to my collection. I'll review some of my other figures too. I'll also get around to posting a size comparison blog, with all the figures in my bishoujo range.

Original Shunya Yamashita concept art.

No comments:

Post a Comment