Wednesday 21 March 2012

Marvel Jean Grey Bishoujo Figure

Jean Grey arrived for me yesterday with Poison Ivy. I love the way these figures are packaged, they never turn up damaged or broken during shipping. When I finally managed to pull her out of the box (she was by far the most difficult to remove,) I noticed she was in the same packaging as Wonder Woman. The plastic packaging wasn't two separate parts, it was all one piece that basically wrapped around her.
I noticed a few other differences.


The next difference I noticed was her size. I expected her to be the same size as the other X-girls in the Bishoujo series. When I had her out of the box though, she was about the same size as Poison Ivy. I knew without having to put other figures next to her that she was larger. I find this a bitter sweet. Bigger figures are good, but she's the odd one out in the X-Men collection. Not quite matching the others.


Jean Grey using her powers.
The pink "swirl" representing her powers on her hand is optional to display her with.
Other than the original surprise of the slightly larger size, my first impressions were very good. The figure uses clear plastic for her hair, a few little details by the rockets and the pink swirl on her hand.
This is a nice touch, which ties her in with the Dark Phoenix figure, and gives her a lightness.

Nice flowing hair, detailed.
She leans quite far back.
I like the way they've sculpted her body; like Wonder Woman; she is muscular, without looking over the top. Her legs are also well defined like Wonder Woman. Most of the other figures don't have this.

Comparison with the original artwork.
You can see in the picture above that they altered the way her legs are posed, but I think it's for the better. I'm not sure if it was to keep the figure balanced, but regardless, in 3D it works. I really enjoy Jean Grey's pose and her face. She really looks like she's right out of an X-Men comic, and right in the middle of the action!

Great figure from every angle.
Focused on using her powers!
Jean likes having her photo taken lol!
Magneto better watch out!

Her base is really detailed in comparison to the other X-girls. More complex than any of the others. Dark Phoenix flame base comes close but this has so much more to it. Clouds, rockets, and the X-Jet! This figure screams action!



I've really fallen in love with this figure. She's definitely one of top Bishoujo figures in my mind.
I think with Jean Grey, it's the whole package. Dynamic pose, clear plastic, dramatic base and determined looking face. I know that Dark Phoenix is very sought after, but you can find Jean for so much cheaper. I believe if people purchased these figures without the knowledge of the characters, this one would be far more popular. Either way, I'm glad to have her in my collection!

Original Shunya Yamashita artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment