Sunday 3 June 2012

Rei Ayanami Ver. 2 #025 by Yamato

The story for this figure is a long one..
I've had the #015 version of this figure for a fair few years now, which was fine, and I've always loved it. Until I ordered the Asuka Langley also by Yamato, and the quality was far superior.
I'm not too sure now if the #015 version of Rei I bought was bootleg or not. Going on photos I've seen of her I'm pretty sure she's a bootleg. So I decided to upgrade to the Version 2 of Rei (#025.)

I'm so glad I did!


When Rei arrived, it was a total *squee* moment!

Rei stands 25cm high (1/6 scale) The artwork she was based on is by Shunya Yamashita, and she was sculpted by Mitsumasa Yoshizawa.


When I got her out of the box, she was clearly very detailed and well made!
She's stunning. The version 2 of Rei comes with two bonuses; a card with a cheeky illustration of Rei, drawn by Shunya Yamashita, and an extra head.

The bonus illustration is pretty well hidden in the back of the box!

This is the standard head that comes attached when she's in the box.

The creepy extra head!
Since the figure of Rei I already had didn't have the second head option, I think I'll be leaving on the bonus head with bandages. I find the bandages more interesting too!

Bandaged head.
I managed to swap the heads over easy enough. Her arms sort of come off, but I didn't need to completely remove it to do the swap. I'll keep the head with the bandages on, since I've seen the other head for years on my other figure.

For what little plug suit she has, it's very detailed!
One thing I love about this figure is even though she's pretty basic, there is tons of details on her costume. From very fine lines, to the contrast of shiny and mat paint, Rei really is well sculpted and made.

Fun to photograph from every angle!
Her skin is nicely shaded, on her face, underarms, boobs, and legs. It adds realism to the figure. She also has very subtle shading on her hair. These same details are on the Asuka figure, so they really match if you have both, or are looking to buy Asuka.

Yamashita figures always have a focus on the behind :D
Now being a Shunya Yamashita designed figure, she has a cheeky bum to match! Very well sculpted, it looks quite realistic. It's about the right amount of bum (not too big, but not flat.)


Both heads you get with Rei Version 2 have really nicely painted eyes, and pretty mouth with a little bit of shine!

I love the redesign of the plug suit, and that she looks more like an adult.
The long bandage strands are quite movable.
When putting the second head on, I could sort of choose where to put the bandage strands because they're flexible. I think you can have both to the front or back, mine ended up with one strand in the front and back. 

Cute pose! Lots of fine details on her boots!
Slightly more stable than Asuka, Rei has both feet planted firmly on the ground.

A few touches of metallic silver contrasts against the white plugsuit.

Rei's bandages moving in the breeze!

Rei #025 is now long sold out, but you can still pick her up on ebay (for a lot of money lol!)


Of all the figures I own, Rei is my favorite figure! She's so well made and cute. I'm glad I splashed out to get the version 2 of her. Next up, I'll show off Asuka, the "matching" figure! I'll also be doing a separate blog of the two figures together.


Shunya Yamashita's Original Design.


For more pictures of Rei and Asuka, check out this blog entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment