Sunday 1 July 2012

Marvel Storm Bishoujo Figure Review

When the sculpt for Storm was first revealed by Kotobukiya, I was among the MANY that were upset that the figure wasn't quite right/ was lacking.
Then they announced there would be a white version of Storm. Both me and my fiance liked this one better, and he surprised me by buying her for my Birthday!
What do I think now I have her out of the box?

The limited edition white costume Storm.

Let's start with what's in the box. Storm comes already attached to her swirling base, but she also comes with a second pair of hands, and "lightning" effects for her hands. This means you can have normal hands or blue hands, and you can choose if you want the lightning or not. Nice way to customize it.

When I saw her on Kotobukiya's facebook page, I didn't think I would like the blue "jazz hands" as someone put it. But actually, out of the box I'm quite fond of the electric hand look, with the blue hands.

Front on view of Storm.
Once I got her out of the box, I really forgot a bit about the few things that really bugged me when she was first announced. She really is pretty, even with the few things that are a bit odd.

With her base and upward flowing hair, she stands bigger than Ms Marvel.
She's the tallest bishoujo I now own. Her body isn't as big as Ms Marvel, but with her base and hair, she's taller! Storm is 1/7 scale PVC figure. Approx 30cm (12") tall. (I'll put a photo in at the end of the blog with a comparison.)

The cape doesn't have as many folds in comparison to the original artwork, but this doesn't bother me now.
Not very exciting from the back, it's all covered by her cape!
Height wise she might take up a bit of space, but luckily, width isn't so much a problem.
Thankfully her base isn't any larger than it needs to be (unlike some of the bishoujo's!)
Her box is pretty huge though, if you keep them!

Wind swirl base. I almost wish they'd left it blue like the black costume version of Storm, but really this is minor.
The only thing I'm still not fond of, is the bottom half of her costume.
Of all the things I was picking at when she was first released, there is only one thing that still bugs me, and it's the bottom half of her costume. People were saying she's chubby, which she might be a little, but really I think it's the way they made the bottom half of the costume look a bit unflattering.

Her hair may not be as big as the original artwork, but it's still nice and flowy, with a metallic silvery look and clear tips. I think her face is nice, and she still comes together as a nice figure.
Normal Hands attached!
I'm really glad she's in my collection. She's much better in real life, and is fun to photograph!
Just a quick Photoshop for fun! : 3


Storm is a bit behind Ms Marvel, and Storm is still taller than her!
Original artwork by Shunya Yamashita.
EDIT: So the other morning it was all cloudy, so I snapped another couple of shots!



2 comments:

  1. Storm is one of my favorite figures in my collection. The 2D images are nice but she looks awesome in real life. I like her so much I plan on buying the black outfit as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she really is a lot nicer in real life. I almost didn't get her, but I'm glad my partner got her for me!

      Delete