Monday 19 March 2012

DC Catwoman Bishoujo Figure

One of the first figures in the Bishoujo range by Kotobukiya I purchased was actually for my fiance for his Birthday last year.
I've never seen Catwoman out of the box until this weekend when I decided to photograph her. It surprised me when I realized Wonder Woman wasn't the only figure that came with instructions. However I found I didn't need them.



She came in several parts; Catwoman, base, two cats and the second half of her whip. There was also a sheet on how to put her together, but I really didn't need it to assemble her. If you get a bit stuck, there are images on the back of the box.

Catwoman's accessories!
Over Catwoman's history, she's had many different costumes. The costume you see her in here (I believe) is her current outfit used in the comics. The leather/latex her costume is "made" of; even though it's very plain in colour; makes up for detail in the little things like belts, costume wrinkles and lots of shine.

Too busy biting on that whip Catwoman, you've forgotten to zip up your suit!
The small details on the suit stop it from being flat and boring black.
 She has quite a bit of cleavage showing, and I think in comparison to the other girls, even though they have large boobs, they don't feel as exposed as this. For some I suppose this is a draw point. I think they are a bit bigger than the original drawing and they look more round. Minor details though.

Nice zip details, and belt buckles. Those boobs again..
So shiny it was difficult to photograph!
Kitty ears.
Whip attached.

Her costume is also different in that her hood covers all of her hair except her fringe. This is unlike any of the other bishoujo figures. Even Bat Girl's hair comes out the bottom of her mask.

Catwoman with all her accessories attached.
Catwoman has a few movable parts. The three whips that are attached when you assemble her are made of wire. You can move the wire whip parts however you like for display. I quite like that you can style them differently. One of the other parts to this figure is two cats. The cats are made beautifully, if only they were attached to the base permanently. I'm not fond of parts that may not be stable, or may get lost.
So far the only figures I own in this range that have loose parts are Catwoman and Wonder Woman.
It's also a tad tricky to balance the little kitties on the base.

Luna and Artemis from Sailor Moon?
There is a very interesting base used for this figure. Basically from what I gather, this is a cross between Batman and a gargoyle. It's very detailed, and even though it is pretty scary looking, it doesn't over power the figure, or attract too much attention.

Batman isn't much of a morning person.
The only thing I wished they'd done differently is her face. I wish she wasn't so carefree looking. I think a more dark or sultry look would have worked better. Perhaps it's just the way the eyebrows are painted.
All in all however this is a dynamic figure, full of small details that really make it pop! A good one for the Batman fans out there, especially if you enjoy anime too.

Original Shunya Yamashita concept art.

No comments:

Post a Comment