Sunday 17 June 2012

Marvel Invisible Woman Bishoujo Figure

Invisible Woman turned up on my door step a few weeks ago, and I didn't have a chance to take decent photos of her due to winter and a lack of sunlight!

Invisible Woman (Sue Storm) is a part of the Fantastic Four, and was one of the earlier bishoujo figures to be released. She just wasn't high on my list of figures to get. I've collected the ones I'm most interested in first, and I knew there were still a few of her around for pretty cheap on ebay, so I didn't rush.

Sue is the current Marvel 1/7th scale (larger than Rogue and Emma Frost.) When you get her out of the box, she's ready to display, no assembly required. She's all screwed on.

Now there a few things I really like about this figure, and a few disappointing things.

One of the things I really like, is she comes on a fantastic base! Very detailed and it sets the scene. Some of Kotobukiya's bishoujo figures are very lacking in the base department. (eg. Mystique.)

Very detailed hand, nice finger nails!
Sue's disappearing force field is all secured to the base.
If only all the bishoujo's had such detailed bases.
Another thing to note is the massive hand isn't just random. They've referenced it to look like the hand of the gigantic green monster from the cover of Fantastic Four #1, “The Mole Man’s Monster!”

Retro!
One of the other things I quite like is the use of the clear PVC plastic to demonstrate her invisibility. It's a nice touch that they used on her hands, feet and hair!

Clear PVC isn't new to the bishoujo figures, but fits Invisible Woman nicely!
Now onto a few things that kind of bug me with this figure. The first being her body. Here's a few shots of her from different angles:

One of the more flattering angles to look at this figure from
I think the folds of her costume around her bum aren't quite as flattering as other bishoujo figures.
She has nice legs and feet.
  So these angles really don't look too bad, it's mostly her front view where you can see the big issues.

Not quite sure who sculpted this one, we're they in a rush Koto?
Ok so the issues for me are first of all her waste could have been a bit slimmer. She isn't fat so there should be a bit more waist definition? She's quite straight up and down. A few people complained about her boobs but I think it looks more like she just isn't wearing a bra under the suit. That's not a big deal to me. The other thing that I wish was nicer is the area between her legs.. Not trying to be rude here but the folds of her costume in that area just look fugly. It's just unusual looking.

The hand twirling the hair just looks a bit unusual too. I think they based it too much on the artwork, they should have made it look more natural. A girl wouldn't really twirl her hair so high up, it almost looks like she's just holding up a strand of hair.

I think she looks pretty cute from this angle. It's positioned so you don't see the flaws other than that strange hand!
Nice blue eyes to match her metallic blue costume!
Now my only other little complaint about her is the face. Her chin is just a fraction too long, and makes her look a bit unusual in comparison to the other bishoujo girls. Really all of these little complaints could have been an easy fix by Kotobukiya but for some reason they didn't fix them. I think if they had, it could have been by far the best figure.

Not too sure I like the brown in her hair..but still nice, lots of flowing strands.
If the things I've been picking at don't bother you, just buy her on ebay. She isn't selling ridiculously expensive like some of the other older figures. She has a nice bright metallic blue suit, cool base details, clear PVC plastic, and really is quite a fun figure. She looks cool with the rest of my collection, I'm glad I purchased her regardless!

If you're not so keen on this one, there are plenty more of these figures, and new ones coming out every few months!

Original Artwork by Shunya Yamashita

No comments:

Post a Comment